Thursday, October 14, 2004

Lights Out

I could say your smile
is magical, and your eyes are
windows to your soul, or say being with
you makes me feel whole. But that would
make you vomit.

You might say your only goal
is to love me, and you’ll always hold
my hand when I need to cry. Or you might swear
to love me into eternity. Those are just
more stained glass promises—
colored reality that’s easily shattered.

I still believe in a penny’s wish
and I dream that I can fly. You still
jump in puddles and you always
start food fights. And it’s okay
if we go fishing all morning and never
catch anything. You
took a nap while I stared
at the sky.

I love the way you don’t
always have to be right,
And you never try to psychoanalyze
me or tell me how to feel or
who I should be. Still, you are
nervous when I turn out the light.

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen Marie, Gluten-Free said...

...still treadin' the line between prose and poetry, but it captures the sentiment exquisitely. Reminds me of Ani DiFranco, how she manages to sum up the hugest emotions in the simplest of phrasings.

October 19, 2004 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Queen Marie, Gluten-Free said...

Prosey because it reads more like a story than a poem. It's rather structured.

October 21, 2004 at 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home